And So November Begins

Saturday, October 29th was just one of those great days. Overcast but not over programmed, cold but not freezing, full but not stuffed. Somehow, the afternoon found my whole family napping so I found refuge in a terrific YA book my good friend, Heather, recommended to me. When the family awoke, we proceeded as planned: carving pumpkins into Jack-o-lanterns, eating a great crockpot dinner, donning PJs to settle in for a family movie night. When your kids are just 5 and 2, these sort of activities come as rare and special treats. We watched Wall-E, a perfect choice for a kindergartner who’s into robot talk and a preschooler into spaceships.

Outside, the clouds emptied their rain, the rain turned to snow and the temperature dropped to freezing. Unknowingly, while we sat warm and cozy inside, the earliest snow storm in North East history raged outside. If you’ve never experienced thunder snow, take my word, it’s surreal.

The poor trees, still heavy with leaves, carried the extra burden of thick, wet snow. Intermittently, we heard the thud of snowloads being dumped from branches; sometimes the thud of trees dumping the branches along with the snow. Lights flickered but the movie played on.

The kids got an extra late bedtime. At 9:03, we tucked them, cozy and warm, into their beds and turned off the lights. At 10:15, the storm took care of the rest of the lights—along with the heat and everything else that brings comfort and convenience to our lives. Our house went dark.

Sunday morning, October 30th left us with an overcast sun for our light and a gas stove for our breakfast needs. Day one without electricity was novel: preparing meals left the satisfaction of cooking over a camp fire; breaking out our camping gear, we wore miner’s lights, cranked self-winding lanterns, lit hurricane lamps; we even entertained company for a dinner by candle light. But bed that night was cold.

The outside temperatures had dipped to 22F and inside it was 48F. It was cold for DH and me, who share body heat under the same extra-full, down comforter; it was REALLY cold for our kids, who share a room but often no covers at all; and it was down right tragic for our tropical, pet Beta fish, Choo Choo, who shares nothing willingly with anyone.

At 1:30 a.m. something woke me up—perhaps the brain freeze that had settled in sometime around midnight–and I got up to check on the status of the kids’ covers. Looking out our front and rear windows revealed streetlights on both parallel streets, an ominous sign that our neighborhood had been restored but our street neglected. I could tell it was going to be a long, powerless haul.

Monday, October 31st: Halloween. We had to get up early to help our kindergartner into her costume for the kindergarten parade and party. The problem…no one wanted to get out of bed, not even a cold bed, because the alternative was far colder. Somehow we dressed, prepared a hot meal and got to school (which, though just down the hill, thankfully had its power restored earlier that morning).

The rest of Monday found my preschooler and I moving from one warm, power-full locale to the next. Our house hovered at a brisk 54F while somehow our neighbors across the street miraculously had retained heat in absence of power. We joined them for pre-trick-or-treating pizza, lit ghoulishly by candlelight and took refuge at another friend’s empty Newton apartment that night.

By Tuesday, the novelty of our situation had gone the way of our electricity. Our fish was farmed out to one neighbor’s home, our food to a friend’s refrigerator, my children to various warm locations. We taxied back and forth, relied heavily on the benevolence of others and prayed to the gods of power and light to grace us once more with both.

It was while dining at our good friend’s and neighbor’s up the street that the call came:

“Hey, your porch light is on!”

And so we returned to our abandoned home, to wet laundry in the cellar, unwashed dishes in the dishwasher, lukewarm food in the fridge and melted ice cream in the freezer. Our house’s temperature climbed steadily back to comfortable and we went to bed in our own rooms.

Yesterday marked the start of Nanowrimo, or in my case, PiBoIdMo—an electrifying month where writers everywhere attempt to keep their fires burning for thirty days straight—events I knew nothing about before my friendship sparked with Heather Kelly.

Yesterday also marked the 1st blogiversary of World Moms Blog, where I’ve been contributing and editing since January. A resource that has connected me to fellow writing moms across the globe.

There’s so much writing to do, food to reposes, pets to recover, laundry to wash, dishes to clean and sanity to restore. At least now I have a warm and well-lit desk where I can sit, paralyzed by the mounting tasks before me.

And so November begins….


13 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Wendy Lawrence
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 12:21:32

    I love a good cold day complete with naps, books, and crockpots! Sounds picture-perfect!


    • growingmuses
      Nov 02, 2011 @ 22:08:41

      Wow, than I did it injustice because that was the only day in the past 4 that WAS picture perfect. Losing power when it’s that cold outside and with two young kids is a real drag…but thanks for the positive thoughts Wendy.


  2. Lisa
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 13:29:13

    At least the storm and all that came with it gave you something to write about?


  3. Heather Kelly
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 13:43:51

    This recap sounds much cozier than our two days and nights without power. Although much food for thought for my current novel, which is set in a world without electricity and technology (maybe the NaNo Gods were trying to tell me something!) We were lucky enough to gain power a day (or more!) earlier than you, and had a warm home to return to after trick-or-treating.

    Oh, and I laughed hard when the weather person talked about “thunder snow”. I guess thunder snow had the last laugh!! 🙂

    We love Wall-E at our house!!

    Thanks for the hospitality this morning–it was a productive writing time for me!


  4. Sarah B
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 14:54:31

    The hindsight of the experience in your writing has a lovely combination of pioneerishness and cozyness. I don’t know how that’s possible, but there it is, tucked in your words!


    • growingmuses
      Nov 02, 2011 @ 22:11:13

      I was feeling pretty Laura Ingles Wilder about it. Cozy it was not and staying warm became an obsession that ended up being very draining but I’m glad I spun it more positively than it felt…


  5. slightlywonky
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 19:54:14

    You always manage somehow to make lemonade from lemons! Or perhaps it was just the quality of your writing that made the whole experience poetic somehow, and not the ordeal that I’m sure it really was. I’m so sorry that you were out of power for so long. What a nightmare! Good luck with all of your writing endeavours!!!! Keep it up!


  6. growingmuses
    Nov 02, 2011 @ 22:12:09

    Thanks Zard…one of these days I’ll write something longer than a post…and just maybe you’ll want to illustrate it :o)


  7. DH
    Nov 17, 2011 @ 21:40:40

    For the record, not having power for a few days was a rejuvenating reminder that resigning to our circadian rhythms and natural sunlight can rest the inner soul. Normally, we have to TRAVEL far away to escape TV, PC’s, blinking notifications on our cell phones, and other technology our lives have become tethered to. Not having to leave home was refreshing.

    That said, I didn’t miss the power…i just missed the heat! Guess the grass is always greener on the other side since power loss in warmer months means you can stay home…you just have to throw away ALL the food in your fridge. Alas, the need to escape on vacation to unplug endures!

    In terms of slightlywonky’s comments about lemonade…the only bad outcome from the power (and HEAT!) loss was you catching pneumonia. 😦


    • growingmuses
      Nov 21, 2011 @ 14:50:44

      agreed! I did find it charming and a fun adventure/experience for our wee folk, if only the temperatures had been milder I don’t think I would have been so drained but as you point out, loosing power sapped my energy too…the road to recovery is LONG!


  8. Trackback: Tri, Tri Again | Growing Muses

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: